Mobility First Thoughts

Week’s 4 lecture was very shocking! I now view the world in a completely different way. I had no idea that there are over 6 billion mobile devices in use today. This clearly portrays how the number of mobile devices exceed the world’s population, but what I find really shocking is how it’s only 2014! What does the future have in store for us? If the mobile-connected devices exceed the world’s population as of now, and the world is just beginning—the population is increasing by every day and technology is expanding as every second passes—how will the world end up in, lets say, 4-8 years from now? According to Cisco’s VNI (Visual Networking Index), by 2018 the monthly global mobile data traffic will surpass 15 exabytes (15 billion gigabytes)! That is to say, the amount of storage 15 billion gigabytes would hold will be roughly 50 thousand years worth of high definition videos. That is an extremely large amount! Aside from the global mobile traffic, mobile network connection speeds will increase two-fold and the amount of traffic an average smartphone will generate will increase five-fold! This is exactly where mobility first has to take a stand. As mobile users continue to increase and technology continues to expand, the IP based network model will not be able to handle all of that traffic.  Mobility First plans to change the way the network works, and instead of using Ip’s it will use names (GUID’s). Aside from the GUID’s there will also be human readable names and network address locators. Even though this topic is still under research, the idea and concept is there, and if this takes over the network we currently have in today’s society sometime in the future, I believe that the internet will be a better, faster and more reliable network than ever before!