Mobility First Thoughts

Okay, so for week six, I learned all about a click modular router, but before I talk about this software router, let me just say that technology is scary! Technology is advancing every single day, and with every day there are improvements to daily things that leave you speechless! You end up with thoughts like: “how did they do that? and “how is that even possible?”. This is exactly what happened to me during the presentation. I had no idea that a click modular router was even possible. I grew up watching the cable company come into houses installing their routers to connect to the internet, but now it’s finally time to let that go. Out with the old and in with the new! With these new software routers, you can easily customize and modify them to fit your likes, since it’s not being controlled by companies. The purpose of the click modular router is to be able to make any linux computer a router! How amazing is that? You don’t have to buy these expensive routers anymore and you definitely don’t have to be calling the company of the router to help you with troubleshooting problems. With the click modular router, you can easily implement it yourself, and tweak it to your needs unlike traditional routers who hide the low-level software from the user and limit the control you have over it’s configuration. I think I find this topic about software routers very interesting because it’s written in C++. Since, I already know C++, understanding the nature of these new routers, and how to install and implement them isn’t something out of this world. I truly believe that some day in the future, these click modular routers will replace the traditional routers to the point where everyone will start questioning why they haven’t switched to these new software routers earlier!