Mobility First Thoughts

This week’s presentation was pretty interesting. Not only did I learn about named data networks, I also learned about the current role of Ip and how our internet today revolves around it, as well as the future role of Ip, which is hopefully going to replace the whole idea of network layers and protocols that we currently use. At first, the whole idea behind using this new system of named data networks seemed pretty complicated, but as the presentation continued, I started comparing it to our current internet architecture and then everything started clicking! Named data network, or NDN for short, is actually an easier concept to understand, since the theory is pretty straight forward. At the IP level, NDN packets can be categorized into two different types: interest, and data. They will both contain a name to identify what the user is searching for, but will not contain any sensitive information to promote security. Once the request has been made and a control packet is issued, it will go from one router to the next looking for the information which matches the name. For example, if there are two routers, and the user requests something, the information he requested will be forwarded to a router, which will return the data packet if the name matches the data, or it will simply forward it to another router who may have it. The actual blueprint for how routers will use this NDN to forward data is still under extensive research, but the idea is solid; however that is not what grabbed my full attention. What caught my eye the most was the slides on security and how NDN is trying to implement the idea of using keys to secure data. So the producer digitally signs and encrypts the data using a private key, which none should have. Since that private key was used to encrypt the data, the consumer can trust any kind of data. Just as the private key is used to encrypt the data, the public key can be used to decrypt it. To check if someone stole your private key or the data is malicious, simply try to decrypt it using the public key. If it decrypts, then the data is real and if it does’t, then the data is malicious and the private key was stolen! This idea is so interesting, especially since it completely changes how security in the internet currently works. If this idea is accepted, then the cyber crime rate as well as viruses and hacks are sure to decline and the internet will be a simpler and safer virtual environment. Since week 2 was this interesting, I can’t wait to see what week 3 has in store for me. Goodbye NDN, and hello XIA!